Thursday, May 24, 2012

Didn't see that coming

Even before we got our iPads, we came up with class rules and consequences.  As usual, the kids were very thorough and we thought we had covered every "what if". We have added a few along the way:

  • Don't leave the iPad on the floor unattended (responisble)
  • Don't set the iPad on wet grass (safe)
  • Ask before touching another person's iPad, even if you are helping them
At the end of every day, my CTO plugs the iPads back into the "COWPad" (computer on wheels for iPad).  They have gotten so good at it that I rarely check.  This morning when I opened the cart, I noticed a student's iPad was missing. Sometimes I hold them out for a reason, but was pretty sure I had not held out Jane's (name changed to protect the guilty).  I looked in my usual hiding places and didn't find it. I looked in her desk (since she was absent) and couldn't find it. I had all of the students look in their desks and we couldn't find it. I even checked the COWPad next door, we couldn't find it! Now I am slightly panicking. So I sent her parents an email, asking them to ask Jane where it might be.  this is the response I got back:

She had it yesterday and was using it to do her homework. When she wasn’t feeling well this morning I left it with the office and asked them to return it to your class. 

I was shocked! No one has ever taken, much less asked, to take the iPads home.  They know they can't.  She knows better.  Now I am struggling with an appropriate consequence. The student was not malicious, she was using it to catch up on missed work. But she certainly knew that she should ask before taking it home.  

I guess we need a new rule - The iPad stays in the room! Do not take it out of the room without asking permission.


1 comment:

  1. Sandy, I had to laugh at this. Sorry! But one of the first questions that came up in my classroom was, "Do we get to take the iPads home?" and "Do we get to keep the iPads when we go to second grade?" The questions were almost asked as rhetorical questions because my kiddos were assuming the answer would be yes in both cases. My "no" and "no" led to great sadness - and this was before the iPads even arrived in my room.

    I think this has to do with the difference in our grade levels. My kiddos come right out and ask every question in the world, even if they are making assumptions, they verbalize them.

    Take care my friend! Camille Johnson

    ReplyDelete