The first session I attended talked about Common Core Standards. The second session was near and dear to my heart.How Two Superintendents Collaboratively Launched an Initiative to Maximize Classroom Effectiveness in the Digital Age
Dr. Jacqueline M. Horejs, Superintendent, Union School District & Dr. Deborah L. Blow, Superintendent, Cambrian School District: Aware of the importance of collaboration as a 21st Century skill, Dr. Debbie Blow.. and Dr. Jacqueline Horejs, ... decided to initiate a 21st Century Digital Media Academy to provide professional development for teachers in both of our districts. Teachers from each district applied and were selected to participate in a year long academy to learn how to effectively use digital media in their classrooms. ... Management team members are also collaborating on book studies including Trilling and Fadel’s 21st Century Skills, and workshops on the effective classroom use of iPads.
It was so cool to hear Dr. Blow talk about what we are doing and I honestly have never felt more proud of my school district! It was interesting to hear some of the background behind the thinking of the Academy concept & design, which basically is "feeding the rabbits" or as my previous Superintendent called us, "fire-starters". Find the people who want to use it, they will use it and thus excite and teach others.
The keynote speaker at lunch was Alan November. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, DO IT! Here are some notes I took, but doesn't really do him justice. If you have time - watch the video recording they made.http://novemberlearning.com/
- Teach by asking not telling
- Unlearning misconceptions is a phenomenally difficult thing to do.
- Math train.tv 6th grade teacher site .for kids to make movies about math. We so have to do this
- Teach not only content but courage. We have to teach them to be fearless learners. Global publishing.
- Children would prefer content provided by children when they are learning something new.
- Unleash an army of creative problem solvers creating problem solving across the curriculum. Kids work for free.
- Check out Prime factorization by bob on Mathtrain.tv. She says she learns more doing the videos that the kids watching because she "really has to learn it."
- Kid who per teacher is not a Good 6th grade because she is lazy, as to why she is not doing school work but literally publishing content to a world-wide audience, "I have to decide, do I publish for my teacher or for the world?"
- What is the proportion of work that has purpose and adds value to the world vs work that is done for a grade?
- YouTube Dan Pink drive rsa animate 3 motivators...purpose, autonomy and mastery
- Seed and tree. ...how did it get there? Kinder give same answer as harvard grads. And they went to school between then!
- If they don't have internet access, download to DVD and send home.
- Mrs. Cassidy classroom blog In Moose Jaw, 1st graders reaching a global audience creating documentaries of how they learned something.
Later I attended Technology Tools to Support Academics in RTI by Sheri Wilkins, Program Manager, Desert/Mountain Special Education Local Plan Area.
This workshop will provide participants with opportunities to explore technological solutions that will extend the effectiveness and efficiency of a Response to Intervention (RTI) model. The session will focus on tools for assessment and intervention in the areas of reading, writing, and math. Participants will be given time to explore the tools that are shared in the presentation. I was hoping to find some good technology sources for reading intervention. This session focused mostly on assessment and not strategies. I did talk to a vendor who has something similar to SuccessMaker but it runs on an iPad, so I might trial it.
I also attended a session with an innovative PD model between San Bruno Park SD and the Krause Center for Innovation. I am a MERIT graduate so was interested to see what they did, which was produce an accelerated program to create tech savvy teachers. Creating Affordable and Timely Professional Development by Skip Johnson, Principal, Steven J. McGriff, Teacher-in-Residence, KCI, Gay Krause, ED, KCI and two teachers from the district: Providing high quality professional development to promote the use of technology is a challenge. In the San Bruno Park School District we created a partnership with the Krause Center for Innovation housed on the junior college campus of Foothill in Los Altos Hills to provide low cost professional development through the establishment of the Danford Center for Innovation.
The final highlight of my day was collaboration time with Jason and Martin. We did some brainstorming about apps, they gave me encouragement about being laid-off, again, and then we went to the Apps for Apps mixer, where it was like speed dating but with iPad apps. We learned about some really cool apps. I'll add links later.
- App. Home 3d. To build a mission
- App. Reflection can display whatever is on your iPad onto the computer, than project it. Not as big a deal if you have appleTV
- app. Educreation. Just like show me. A little simpler. can't download videos with show me so if you want to embed them in something else, you may want to use Educreation ..both are free.
- App Explain everything. 2. Cool app to annotate presentations, images, etc.
- Doceri 3 versions can edit with the video then record Export to an mov. Free $25 no ad, $30 also controls computers
- If you are going to make movies, there is a Case/tripod mount/adapter for lenses. $64 Makayama. iPad 2. You can attach a 37 mm lens. Kinda cool. You can also attach external mic with $20 dongle
- Cosmonaut. Stylus. A bigger handle for little kids. http://www.studioneat.com/products/cosmonaut
- App and web based tool take notes and store them in the cloud for anywhere access.. It is where imam typing this! Evernote. Shared folder so you can share assignments with kids that they can access anywhere...maybe much the same as Google apps though frankly docs is super slow and awkward. Jon from Minnerette high school. Taking notes in the cloud.
- Assignment: using Ask a friend three questions and record. (t has a voice feature) Then write summary. They have to stay on task because they have to produce soemthing!
I am so happy I went to this event. It was engaging and re-invigorating. Will post later about the closing session with Steve Dembo